Monday, October 22, 2007

Fooled you, fooled you!

I did it, bitches!

I. Did. It.





Ran 13.1 miles (ok, walked some of it too).

The ugly stats:

Final time of 3:02:31 (I'm taking off 10 minutes that I had to wait for a potty in Windsor)

Overall place: 4583 out of 11058 (not dead last!)
Gender place: 2500 out of 5560 (still not dead last!)

The experience was INCREDIBLE! I will do that again next year, you bet. The highlights:

1) Standing in a crowded corral sharing my nervous feelings with a younger runner on her first Half as well;

2) The smell of fresh tortillas cooking as I ran through Mexican Town;

3) Running across the Ambassador Bridge as the sun was coming up over the horizon;

4) Having a guy yelling "Welcome to Canada! Tim Horton's is around the corner!" as I came to the other side of the bridge;

5) Running the first half of the marathon with NO WALK BREAKS. My first break was the aforementioned potty break around the halfway point in Windsor;

6) The guy dressed as Mr. Incredible in the full costume running near me;

7) Running through the tunnel. Yeah, it was like running through a locker room after football practice, but the downhill run to the center of the tunnel was much needed;

8) Seeing Mr. Gravity at 12.5 miles. I had to walk miles 10-12 due to my hip flexor cramping up, but as soon as I saw him I had the strenth to run to him;

9) Mr. Gravity took my hand and walked with me for half a mile towards the finish;

10) Turning the corner and seeing that finish line. I ran strong for that last .3 miles and gave a fist pump as I crossed the finish line!

The entire experience was one I will never forget. It will always be my first time, and now I have something to beat next year. Oh running....I love you again!

-K

5 comments:

Fun Guv said...

YEAH!!!! Congrats!

I tried to look you up yesterday on their website, but they must not have had it all updated yet.

Fun Guv said...

Uh can I just say I'm a bit troubled by the fact that the two time keeping clocks have 2 different times on them?????

Kim said...

Hmmm...good thing I was timing myself!


-K

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the Detroit Marathon Finish. Thank you for the mention of me in your blog. Will you be doing the Walt Disney Marathon in January 2008? (Mr. Incredible)

Kim said...

Thanks for viewing my lil' old blog, Bob. No Disney marathon for me, but I'm sure you'll fit right in!