Tuesday, October 09, 2007

On the Fence (again)

Ok. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to run the Detroit Half-Marathon on October 21. My training has been spotty all of September, and I don't have the distance logged yet either. This past Saturday I was absolutely OFF the fence into the "No" side after a horrible 8 miler done in 1:45:23. But then I read the online news about the Chicago Fun Run and I don't feel like such a douche. So now, back on the fence.

Here are my internal arguements:

1) FOR: It is the 30th anniversary of the race; it would be cool to run over the Ambassador Bridge; my time is good enough that I won't be forced on to the Sag Wagon; I want to have my first medal; I would like to say I did it.

2) AGAINST: I haven't trained properly; my pace is slow as a turtle; I won't enjoy it physically; my overall time will suck; I WILL have to walk some of it.

My deciding factor will be Saturday's 10 miler. The weather is no excuse, it will be cool and sunny that day. I will have a good idea of how my performance will be, and how I will handle a long distance. If I don't have a good run, I'm going to participate in the 5K instead and save it for next year when I have time to train the right way. Truly, I'm not leaning one way or the other at this point. Making the decision even harder, I didn't have to pay the normal entrance fee b/c my company is a major sponser. So I'm not even out the $60 if I switch races. Please dump your opinion in the comments section...

-K

1 comment:

Fun Guv said...

I say go for it...I think you can do it. Mike is now seriously considering the full after the Chicago debacle.