Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Celebrity Obsession

I suppose this is a sign of my age. Like a gray hair, or catching yourself saying "When I was your age"...something like that. Now, celebrity watching has been my guilty pleasure for quite some time. My husband can attest to the amount of time I've spent watching the E News channel or Entertainment Tonight or reading my Entertainment Weekly subscription (subscribing!).

What I've noticed the past year or so are these people that are famous for absolutely nothing. No talent; can't act; can't sing (tried both). I'm talking about all of the reality tv stars stretching their 15 minutes; the Paris Hiltons of the world. Even the gossip columnist Liz Smith hit it on the head when she called Hilton a commodity with no message.

At what point did Americans stop valuing talent? When did we decide that as long as you look hot with big hair and big lips you can be famous and make money? It's so freaking disappointing that real actors and musicians and painters and writers are pushed to the side to buy the latest crap CD, or "novel" (usually ghost written), or "movies". I've always been damn picky about the CDs, books or movies I buy/watch, but apparently most of America isn't.

Can't stand to see or read "crap". Can't really quantify "crap" either, I just know it when I smell it. I'd like to start a record label for ugly folks. Called Just Music Records. Maybe we can actually get people that can SING for once, or God forbid, can actually WRITE THEIR OWN DAMN MUSIC. I know, I know...I ask too much...

At least writers don't have to be hot...yet...

More cranky musings later!

1 comment:

Animal said...

Amen, sistah! It ain't what you can do...all to often, it's just who you know. Or, even creepier, who your parents are. *Shudder!*

Looking for fantastic music by a not-so-hot singer/songwriter? I encourage all readers, from the depths of my very soul, to give Cheryl Wheeler a listen. She writes the songs I WISH I could've!