Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Whole new meaning for Mad Max

I'm sure by now you've seen all the press about Mel Gibson's DUI arrest in LA over the weekend. I've heard for years that he is not right; slightly crazy; VERY misogynist and anti-Semite. It just never made video until now (what a stupid ass).

I've never been a big fan of Mel Gibson. Never watched many of Mel's movies and never really swooned over his face during his "Sexiest Man Alive" period. The first thing that turned me off of him was an article I read about his wife. She is Christian, but not Catholic like he is. Because of this, Mel was quoted as saying that his wife is going to hell b/c she isn't baptised in the Catholic church. Does this bother Mel? Not really, he says...he's still devoted to the church, so he'll get to heaven. Sorry, lady. You're good enough to have 6 kids with, but not good enough to save from eternal damnation.

The second thing (not that it took another one) to turn me off was that his father was quoted as saying the Holocaust didn't happen. And that Mel refused to "go against his father" on the topic. Which is pretty much saying you agree. Because see, my dad has been a hard core Tigers fan for years, but I'm not going to back him up if he said five years ago that they were a great team; I'd call him out on it and we'd discuss it. Now, sure as shit I wouldn't sit back and just let a comment like "the Holocaust didn't happen" slide by and not say anything whether it was my dad or a stranger on the street. Ignorance is ignorance and we all have a duty to educate our fellow man.

So after seeing this past weekend's events, it's safe to say I wasn't surprised. Hugely disappointed, but not surprised. It just saddens me when I see examples of ignorance and hatred again and again in this modern world. The years after 9/11 have proved to be the worst, especially hatred and prejudice against people from the Middle East. I guess I just expect more from my fellow man. A higher intelligence to see through the bullshit and understand WHY things occur, not just HOW they happen or to buy into blatent lies about someone just because they speak differently or dress differently from you.

To see such a high profile individual make disparaging comments about Jews and women should NOT be tolerated and should be the end of his career making money off of the general public. We shouldn't elevate racist people to a position of power and influence, and we sure as hell shouldn't let them stay there.

No comments: