Friday, September 28, 2007

Runner's anxiety

I'm beginning to think I've done a crazy thing. This statement is not a shock nor surprise for those that know me well, but bear with me here. I registered for the Free Press Half Marathon that is happening October 21.

Normally, that would be an ok thing. But I am woefully underprepared for the experience. WOEFULLY. As in, the farthest I've run is 5 miles. So while I've had a mix of excitement and anxiety, lately it's been mostly anxiety. Who do I think I am? Why do I want to get stranded halfway through the course and be burdened just to finish? Will I make it all the way? Am I crazy?

In a word, no. In doing a little online research today, I feel a little less nuts. The Marathon website gives advice to whether or not you should register as a runner or a walker, and I clearly fit into their definition of a runner even though I will be walking some of the race. I'm just debating the best strategy.

Should I do the run 5 minutes/walk 1 minute? Should I run the first 5 miles, take a long walk break, then run the rest? Could my legs do it? I'm conducting experiments every weekend until the race by bumping my miles up each weekend and trying different techniques. Anyone with some advice out there, feel free to chime in.

Don't get me wrong. I want to do it. I want to participate in this event, if only to give myself some incentive to keep going and improve my fitness. And I won't let certain thoughts ruin my confidence. I do belong there. I have a passion for running. I love that I'm attaining a level of fitness that a lot of people couldn't reach. That is the crux of what motivates me to keep going; to achieve a higher level; to push farther. I'm not the fastest runner out there, I'm not the youngest runner, but I AM A RUNNER. And I belong.

-K

3 comments:

Mike said...

i was wondering when this post would come.

relax you will be fine. and your plan to add some lileage will work. Try to up the miles slowly and hit around 10 miles the week before the half.

Run a couple short runs the week of the 1/2 and you will be fine. i was thinking of going down there and maybe banditing with you to the bridge. see if i can work out the details...

unless i just register for another marathon.

you'll be fine

LeRougeBeautyLounge said...

Hey I have a question, I am new to running and I have been training with a club for a marathon, I am running the 1/2 in Dec. I ran my first 5 miles, now we have been training since june 1st. I was ok that day not to fitqued but that night i had almost what I call a anxiety attack. I could not get comfortable at bed time I was tossing and turning till I finnaly fell a sleep. Woke up ok. But I don't like this feeling. Help

Kim said...

Kathryn -

Just keep envisioning yourself at the finish line when you feel anxiety about running. Everything will fall into place, see Mike's post above.