Friday, September 07, 2007

Losing Inspiration

What causes loss of inspiration, loss of creativity? When your passion for something shines a little less bright; when you can't seem to challenge yourself to find new ways to keep going.

I was talking with my dear friend J last night. He has continued to grow and learn in our shared passion, photography. I had gone through a period of time where photography was bordering on obsession. I kept a camera in my car for streches (just in case I passed a good photo op). I would get up at the crack of dawn to get the right light setup for a certain set of pix. I had even thought about opening a photo studio just to make money at something I loved to do.

And then it left. Just like that. I mean, I still take photos...just not with the regularity or enthusiasm that I used to have. I used to have excitement for the prospect of taking my camera on vacation or to a new place. Now, it's a bit of a chore. Was I happy with the quality of our last vacation pix? Kind of. I didn't walk away with the same quality or quantity that I usually do. And I don't feel that the pix were taken with the same eye I usually have.

J told me what he does for inspiration: He gives himself homework assignments. "Take a minimum of 50 photos of a 5 foot area of your backyard" or "Take photos only of the right side of the downtown street". I need to start doing this again. Finding time is the key. I think once summer is over, my weekends will be a bit more free to do these things. And also not drop my running habit, as that is what has been keeping my weight down and making it less of a problem for me.

Any suggestions, Peanut Gallery? Maybe I need to buy myself a new camera toy? What do you think of that, Mr. Gravity?

-K

6 comments:

Fun Guv said...

I think a new camera is a great idea....can you convince Mike that I need one too?

I see where you're coming from, though I've never taken spectacular pictures, just average. I used to have my camera attached to me everywhere I went and took tons of pics. Now...not so much. It may be with me, but I'm not as obsessed about taking tons of pics. I've also kind of lost some of my scrapbooking mojo, but I think part of that is the lack of time I have these days due to the new job. Hopefully once the weather turns a little cooler and I'm not as inclined to go outside as much I'll get some of it back.

I've hinted a few times that a nice new camera would be the perfect solution to my slump :-)

Mike said...

...like she needs another new camara...what are they??? purses???

i think not. it's alright...you've gone through a bunch of personal and professional changes lately. Things that will sap strength to do other things. Take the camara with you as you run and snap pictures of whatever grabs you while running. take pictures while doing a 5k.

Fun Guv said...

Uh, I said I need a new camera....just think of the pics I could of gotten today with a much nicer, higher quality camera...say the Digital Rebel...and it's not like I have a ton of purses either, I just keep recycling the same 3 or 4 every few months to keep the monotony at bay.

Anonymous said...

I often find myself at the point where I have to declutter my head and chant the mantra adopted by Nike....."Just Do It"
Ana P.

Kim said...

Just a reminder...this is not a marraige counseling forum. :)

-K

Fun Guv said...

:( Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your comment section.