Monday, April 09, 2007

A new mile-stone

Yes, the hyphen was added on purpose, Mr. English Major. On Saturday I ran my all time high of 2 miles on the Dread! I was sweating like a pig, but boy did it feel good.

I had a doctor's pre-appointment for a physical last week. Now, at my current height (5 ft 6in and change) and weight (188 lbs) I was informed that I am currently in the "obese" category. Initially, this was really depressing to me. But now, I look at it as a motivator for my running.

After I had completed my 2 miles, I told my husband about it, following up with "How's that for obese?". I think I'm saying this word aloud so that I own it and that it doesn't have the power to depress me. It now is just motivating. I'm running a 5K in June...how's that for obese? I run or walk on the treadmill about 12 miles per week...how's that for obese? I don't eat junk food or drink soda pop (haven't in years)...how's that for obese?

I could go on and on...and I do, in my head. I think this label is going to be great to keep me moving; keep me running on a regular schedule. Now when I loose my motivation, I'll just remember that I want to show people wrong! That I'm not lazy; that I'm not going to stop! Yeah for me!

-Kim

1 comment:

Animal said...

Yeah, "obese." I believe, when my BMI is taken, that I come very close to the "obese" category. Just goes to show what doctors know!

If you aren't comfortable with the way you feel, lose some weight. Running will help. Yer on the right track. Cool!