Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Can I get an Amen?

How many people out there are in the same spot as me? Here I am, 36 years old. I've worked at the same company for almost 10 years (9.5 years, if you want to be technical). I fell into my line of work out of job desperation after college (my degree is in a totally different field). And, for the past 2 years, I HATE IT. I hate almost everything about it. I get the Sunday Night Stomache ache; I shudder when my work phone rings; I hit Monster.com every other day.

So, what to do? Go back to school? Work part-time in a better profession until I can get a full time job? The economy here in Michigan is so far in the shitter you couldn't reach it with a snake. Looking for another job is a daunting task, fo' sure. School is an option, but one I don't look forward to. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for more education and I was a pretty decent student. I just have zero good study habits and, if it don't come easy, I abandon it like a hot potato.

My passion is photography. There's nothing better than going out early in the morning, just me and my camera, and discovering wonderful things. My dream is to be able to make a living off of my photos, but for now I settle on making it my hobby (and that's fine for me). I've dipped my toe in the professional waters. I've taken a small business class and I've interned with a photo portrait studio in town. I'd just rather do the art and leave the business to someone else... :)

I suppose I'm hitting my mid-life crisis a bit early. I've dyed my hair red, taken up running, and have vowed to start doing more of the things I want to do. Lord help my husband...

-K

No comments: