Monday, April 23, 2007

Going Green - Part II

In looking around a bit, I stumbled on a couple more suggestions for going green that I hadn't realized before. I figured I'd put them out there, maybe you'll have an "aha" moment as well...

1) Don't leave appliances (like monitors, CPUs, etc) running in sleep mode. Well, no shit. The article I read suggests to not only plug these into a power strip (which I do), but to turn THE POWER STRIP off when not using these items. Seems the power strip left turned on all day drains energy that adds up after a while...It seems obvious, but I never really thought about it.

2) The other suggestion was a bit cheesy, but some of you out there might use it. Take your empty Starbucks cup (or other paper-like coffee container) and use it to start plant seeds or herb seeds. The coffee remnants don't harm the seeds (a little acidity sometimes helps) and you don't have to waste the coffee cup.

3) The last one is for all you breeders out there. Use the old cereal boxes as magazine or paper storage racks. Cut the box on an angle so the top and part of one side are cut off (looks like a quadrangle). You can use those odd bits of wrapping paper to cover the Lucky Charms leprechaun if you want...unless your reading is magically delicious.

That's all for today, folks! Hug a tree!

-K

No comments: