Saturday, January 05, 2008

You say you want a resolution....

Happy New Year 2008 all! Mr. Gravity and I had a great time over the holidays, and over all Santa was good to us.

I know that every year many of you have a resolution. To resolve to improve in some way. Maybe you want to lose weight, maybe you want to get a better job, maybe you want to swear less (hell no!). I'm going to do what I do every year: resolve to not make a resolution.

Why, you ask? Is COG lazy? Is she perfect already? (yes, and YES). No, the truth is I don't want to disappoint myself come February or March. And get ready to gag a little, but I try to be a better person throughout the year and not just when it's time to buy a new calendar. So my continual struggles, no matter the season? Weight loss; fitness; eating better; being less of a bitch (unless the situation calls for me to bring the Bitch. Then it's fine.)

On a completely different topic, I'd been meaning to give a list of music that I really loved/hated in 2007. I was inspired by reading so many other top 10 lists (and disagreeing with them) that I thought I would give 'er a try. Remember, these are love AND hates, and in no particular order:

1) Back to Black, Amy Winehouse - the whole album. The sound was different than anything else out there (which I give immediate props to, even if I hate it). Her voice is phenomenal. And the production of each song is top notch. Well crafted and moving. It sucks that her personal life is a train wreck right now, and I hope she pulls it together before there is no more genius from her in the future.

2) Umbrella, Rhianna - This one falls under HATED IT. Or more precisely, I couldn't figure out why it was such a big hit. I had downloaded it from ITunes after hearing so much buzz on it and was disappointed with it. A much better and bigger tune for summer was Beyonce's "Crazy in Love" two years ago. Girl could tear it up...Rhianna? Not so much here.

3) The Reminder, Feist - I would recommend about 50% of this album, the track that everyone knows from that IPod commercial would be #1 for me ("1,2,3,4"). Her voice is thin, but the melodies are unique and lyrics are pretty impressive.

4) Missed the Boat, Modest Mouse - I did like some other tracks from this album too, but Missed the Boat is my favorite. The lyrics are GREAT. Witty, self-deprecating...two things you don't see very often from pop music anymore. Bonus points for naming the album "We were dead before the ship even sank".

5) Grace Kelly, Mika - I'll recommend the album this track is from for the whole family for the pure joy of it. Unironic, not some bullshit self-aware "too cool for school" pop. This is someone bringing music from a place of pure joy. The attitude is similar to They Might Be Giants, and the fun is contagious.

6) Nickelback - HATE them in general, but I hate them in the same way that I hate Matchbox twenty. They have songs that are stupidly catchy and all sound the same, but damn if they don't appeal to a huge audience. Those Canucks sure know how to make a buck. Their album has been on the damn charts since 2006 and it's still hanging on with the new single "Rockstar". And the worst part? I actually LIKE that f**king song. Grrr.

7) The Dutchess, Fergie - GUILTY PLEASURE ALERT! GUILTY PLEASURE ALERT! The songs are insipid, poppy, and lyrics are on a fourth grade reading level (she even spells some of the words FOR you). But Ms. Ferguson must be doing something right, because this album has been charting since 2006 (that's right, over 13 months ago). The only positive thing I can say about these songs is that I use two of them on my running playlist (Glamorous and Fergilicious).

8) The new Bruce Springsteen - Forgive me, Mike P, but I'm too damn lazy to go to Mr. Gravity's car to get the case and find the name. And, since it has been permanently glued in Mr. Gravity's car cd player since Santa dropped it in his stocking last week, you can get the idea that it is a return to classic BRRRUUUUUCCCEEEEEEEE! Mr. Gravity is a classic Bruce fan, not a fan of Dust Bowl Springsteen or 9/11 Springsteen. So he is a true litmus test for another record if, Mr. Springsteen, you are a great COG fan and are reading this blog. Give us a jingle.

9) Growing Pains, Mary J Blige - it's a good one. Almost as good as No More Drama, but not quite. Mr. Gravity is a huge MJB fan, so the cd player test really doesn't apply here. The overall message is positive, the beats are hot, and Mary really hasn't sounded better.

10) I've run out. No #10. See, it's kinda hard to impress me musically. You need to be on your lyric game, and deliver it to me on an innovative melody. Anyone have a 2007 recommendation? Hit me up in the comments...

Happy New Year, bitches!


-K

3 comments:

Mike said...

Magic...it's called Magic

Glad to here you are well and had a wonderful Christmas. i like to imagine you and mr gravity are at the pistons/celtics game about now or at least watching it.

L*I*S*A said...

I'm with you on MJB, but as Mike will always attest to, I can't go with Bruce. Blech. Yuck. Sorry.

Animal said...

Ms. G, I suggest you check out a new Ron Carter release titled "Dear Miles." As the name suggests, this is kind of a letter to the late Miles Davis, for whom Carter played bass during the fertile early-'60s. Carter has something like 3 THOUSAND recordings to his name, making him one of the most-recorded bassists of all time. And now in his 70s, he shows no signs of letting up: this disc is generally warm & mellow, perfect for a summer evening or a winter day.