Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Once in a lifetime opportunities

I've had two things happen to me in the past few days that require a post. One was surreal, the other just plain fun, but both made me appreciate my family.

My nephew is 18 years old and in a Christian rock thrash metal band (whew!). He had a gig on Sunday at a dive bar that I used to frequent when I was not much older than he is now. So, Mr. Gravity and I drove out to see him perform. My sister (his mother), and my brother also came. But the kicker? My parents came to this hole in the wall to see him perform. They are in their late 60's, and TOTALLY do not understand this type of "music" (their caption, not mine). But there they were, supporting my nephew M and his band. How many kids can say their grandparents watched them perform thrash metal in a dive bar? How many grandparents would go? And appreciate the performance? I think they knew going in that M wouldn't be playing country music or easy listening, but I have to appreciate the open minded attitude they displayed. I can only hope that when (God willing) I reach that age, I can show my family the same love and respect.

The other thing was my niece E turned 21 last night at midnight. So her aunt K took her out for her "official" introduction to the legal nightlife. We had a ball, just her and I, having drinks and chatting up strangers and dancing. I'm very grateful that she wants to hang with her aunt, and that we are able to turn this relationship to a friendship as we age. Again, it was just plain fun, but also something I can appreciate and remember for a long time.

Happy Turkey Day!

-K

2 comments:

Mike said...

i beat Fun Guv to the response, yay!!!

Fun Guv said...

Uhhh, Fun Guv hasn't been home since Sunday night, let alone on a computer...other than the good 'ole GW order entry program!!!