Thursday, June 14, 2007

A New First

Didn't think an old dog could learn new tricks? I'm living proof that is wrong. I am, at the ripe old age of 36, running my first 5K this Saturday. I've always had a love/hate relationship with excercise in general and a struggle with my weight all my life, but I think I've found my calling. This has been a challenge for me, and I've been working at it since about mid-February.

I think I caught the running bug when I ran my first mile on my 36th birthday this past February 24. I know, some of you out there can run (many) circles around me. But this mile was a great achievement for me! It was some mental barrier that was set in my mind, and I broke it on a day that usually signifies slowing down. Love it!

Well, now that mile really isn't a big deal for me anymore. I'm not intimidated by running 3 miles, even. So I'm truly geeked out and excited for Saturday's race. For those of you not familiar with Race for the Cure, it is a wonderful place to start if you want to get active in the fight against breast cancer.

I've been participating in Race for the Cure for the past 13 years and have watched it grow from 1,500 participants to the 40,000+ that it is today. It is a day of fun and of tears, hope and sadness. To see whole families walking with "In Memory of my Wife" or "In Memory of my Mom" on their signs makes you want to weep (I'm getting choked up just typing it). On the other hand, to see hundreds of pink caps designating the survivors of this disease and the thousands of signs that say "In Celebration of my..." is a great thing, too. I walk in celebration of my sister, who has survived her bout of breast cancer at the age of 32. Yes, even you young women out there need to check your boobies regularly!

So this weekend will be a great way to kick off a long (I hope) love of running and being in shape. I want to thank Mike P for getting me started and motivating me to continue to improve. 10K in August, anyone?

-K

2 comments:

Animal said...

Kick ass in your race, Kim! Even though my regular run is right around the 3-mile mark, I found that actually participating in a race of that length was really different. Funny to hear people cheering me on...I kept thinking "Um, I run by your house EVERY MORNING! Could you, maybe, come out & cheer tomorrow?"

Anyway, good luck!

Mike said...

have fun and run strong tomorrow

another 23.1 miles is right around the corner. just kidding