Monday, June 18, 2007

First Race Cherry is Popped! News at 11....

Or now. News now!

My first race was both exhilerating and disappointing, and both in a good way! The Race for the Cure is definately one that focuses on the bigger "Walker" group, so I did feel a bit like an after-thought in the race lineup. I think the construction on Woodward probably contributed to that, as the guys were laying rebar down about 20 feet from where I was streching out. Also, the running group was so big that it took a good 6 minutes after the "start" for me to cross the start line (and dodge the confused walkers that had stumbled in to the running corral).

But, on to the positive. Once I got on my way, it was relatively easy to keep my pace. I only had to shout "On the right!" one time at a gal that had stopped running and was doing the Wandering Walker thing. I did have to take a walk break about 1.6 miles into it, mostly b/c I'm sure my pace was a bit faster than usual due to the excitement of it all.

I do know one thing...running that last mile and crossing the finish line was fantastic! My legs felt like I had just started the race as there were more people cheering us on in that last mile. And, since my family and coworkers were still busy walking the route, I had no one to greet at the end. So I grabbed my cell from my water pack and called Mr. Gravity to tell him I had finished! Thank you, best friend/husband, for supporting my quest to get in shape and do this race. You truly inspire me to keep going!

So...any ideas for another race in August? No, Mike...no CRIM!

-K

4 comments:

Animal said...

Hey, Kim, what was your TIME?!? Sheesh.

Mike said...

The Crim also has a 5k.

Think a little about the 5k...

Yeah, and ideas on time. it's a PR now.

Congrats!!!!

Fun Guv said...

Yeah!!! WTG Kim!!

time schmime, you did it and that is what counts....geez guys let her revel in the completion of her first organized race.

Kim said...

Thanks for the support, Lisa...Mike knows I run at a turtle pace! For you snuff addicts out there, I finished in 35:12