Thursday, July 05, 2007

Karma Run

Well, it has finally happened. After 4 months of slow progress, bumping up my distances, picking up my pace. I finally had my Karma Run.

I call it that because it was the most perfect run I've ever had. I ran only 2.5 miles yesterday morning, but I did it non-stop and felt great when I was done.

The weather yesterday was overcast, humid and a little chilly (about 67 F). I took off from my driveway and headed around the corner to tackle the First Big Hill on my local route. No big sweat, I tackled it easily enough just remembering to keep my stride short but my pace constant. I rounded out of the sub and down the main street to the point I normally poop out at. I felt good, so I didn't need to take a break just yet so I kept on trucking.

Got to about the 1.4 mile mark and tackled the Second Big Hill on the route. Again, just paced myself and did the baby stride thing to the top. And again, still feeling GREAT! No need to stop, no need to rest so I kept on...

Got to the last .3 mile at the end of my street. If I wanted to run this last little bit, I was going to have to tackle the Mother of All Hills; Mt. Rush-hill; Hill-zilla - my street. This grade is, at my best guess, about a 10 - 13% grade. I was still feeling GREAT, so I said fuck it why not? I set off again with the baby steps and the pace steady. About half way up my thighs were starting to burn, but not a challenge to my lungs.

Once I made it up to the top, I had my Rocky moment! Ran up my driveway and found Mr. Gravity in the garage and told him the blow by blow. He was excited, but of course can't be as excited as I was. I think I'm really starting to love this new hobby. 4 miles on Saturday on Paint Creek is the next target...wish me luck!

-K

No comments: